The location at the corner of Oxford Avenue and Ortega Boulevard was purchased in 1923. The cornerstone of the present church building was dedicated in September 1942. During the past 84 years, growth and construction have continued with the building of the church parish hall in 1953, church expansion in 1975, and the renovation of the parish hall and other buildings in 1987.
In 1990, to meet the needs of a growing parish, the church underwent major renovation and expansion. Construction in 1994 added a new 2,000 square foot youth center. In 1997, Grace House was dedicated as a pastoral care, hospitality and resource center. In 1998, an Early Learning Center added dedicated church nursery space, classrooms for school pre-kindergarten and extended day programs and a common room/chapel.
St. Mark’s Episcopal Day School is across the street from the church on 4 ½ acres. Additional construction in 1997 added more classrooms, new computer and science labs, and growth continues to meet the needs of increasing demands. In January 2000, a single-dwelling home adjacent to the school campus was purchased to provide much needed classroom space and to expand the extended day program.
In 2011, renovations began to unify the church and school properties by removing a portion of Oxford Avenue which split the campus. A new chapel was added to the church and a commons building was added to the school.
The church and its associated properties comprise a multifaceted campus incorporating the church, day school with extended day care program, early learning center with church nursery, Christian formation building, library, bookstore and archives center, pastoral care center and youth center.
All grounds and buildings are under the stewardship of St. Mark’s Church. Any future renovations or improvements will continue to meet the current and future needs of St. Mark’s parishioners and the community.